Student Learning Outcomes
Learning outcomes for the materials science graduate program
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of core graduate-level theoretical knowledge
in materials science.
- Students will demonstrate written and oral communication skills in communicating materials
science- and physics-related topics.
- Students will design and conduct an experiment (or series of experiments) demonstrating
their understanding of the scientific method and process. Students will demonstrate
an understanding of the analytical methods required to interpret and analyze results
and draw conclusions as supported by their data.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in the acquisition of data using a variety of
laboratory instruments and in the analysis and interpretation of such data.
- Students will utilize a wide range of printed and electronic resources and information
technologies to support their research on physical systems and present those results
in the context of the current understanding of physical phenomena.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the applications of numerical techniques
for modeling physical systems for which analytical methods are inappropriate or of
- Students will demonstrate a thorough understanding of the analytical approach to modeling
of physical phenomena.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the impact of physics and science on